Friday Favs :: 11.21.14
It’s been a busy week with an equally busy weekend coming up! Here’s a look at some of my favorite NYC stories of the week. Enjoy your weekends everyone!
- Wi-Fi coming to a phone booth near you! The city plans to replace up to 10,000 phone booths into Wi-Fi booths that will also double as phone charging stations and as well as offering free calls to 911 or 311.
- Meet Sal Locascio, NYC’s oldest yellow cab (or at least with his own medallion). The New York Times interviewed Sal who has been driving up and down New York streets for over 50 years. With stories of picking up Mickey Mantel, Joe DiMaggio, and Judy Garland, he’s lived quite the life in his yellow cab.
- Ice cream might not be on the top of New Yorkers’ priorities with the return of winter weather this week, but here’s a mash-up you aren’t going to want to miss. Shake Shack and Big Gay Ice Cream have teamed up to create an awesome limited edition milkshake only available this weekend.
- Well, there’s a new take on Thanksgiving dinner this year. Park Slope’s Talde debuted a new take on the holiday, Turkey Ramen. $15 and a trip to Brooklyn will get you to this one complete with turkey, stuffing, creamed spinach dumplings, cranberries and mushroom gravy all in ramen form.
- Donuts and a carwash! Underwest Donuts announced its launch and the menu looks pretty promising! That’s not even the most interesting part about the joint though. It’s located inside a carwash, Westside Highway Car Wash to be exact. You can read more about the new spot here. I may not have a car to run through the car wash, but I always have an appetite for donuts ;-)